Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fresh Semester

Favorites back from the dead, from the beyond
trembling reality, eyes hung with shadows but smiling
Breathing below zero, wrist scars
But I haven't seen you in more than a year! We'd all given up hope-
And here you are outside my door with a knock and a bottle of vodka
and a smile like old times and my heart cannot find a beat fast enough

Rejuvenation! It's
seeing old lovers and familiar faces from across the frozen lots,
calling across the rugby field,
Come over, baby!

Sun sinks, and we've collected people along the way, hitchhikers,
lost friends, happy, cold, wanderers
my girls are making chocolate milk and laughing
about human rights biddies and
the color our water has turned over winter

the boys are wearing matching sweaters and setting the table
I can't believe you're here and I keep pinching your cheeks
I'm real, I'm real, you say, I fell into the world, but here I am again

I'm mincing garlic and chipotles, cooking up a big pot of beans and corn,
caramelizing onions slowly-
filling and rolling tortillas into the wide baking pan,
grating cheese, doling out fresh salsa

All you people, c'mere-
bring me your plates and your lips and your skin
I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment